Meeting Minutes

May 22, 2022

Community Beds

  • Bring wine bottles for community beds

Landscape

  • Weeding
    • Tetterwort (Greater Celandine) weeding
    • Morning Glory
  • Plants from green thumb: Goldenrod and Mountain Mint

Compost 

  • Replacing mesh on bins
  • Squash plants found growing in compost :O

Open Garden Day

  • Saturday, June 4th
  • Gardens opening doors across north Brooklyn
  • Need food donations: bagels?

Edible veggie plants up for grabs!

Water has been filled up, thanks Travis!

June 26 fundraiser

Can someone pickup mosquito dunks from Crest?

Puddle now forming due to fixes on corner of Skillman and Kingsland

  • call 311 to complain about the large puddle accumulating to get enough complaints to resolve

April 24, 2022

  • Mesh tops for mosquitos on the barrels have been secured!
  • GreenThumb says bats are friends: exploring this option
  • Voted YES to redo top of compost bin with timber rather than mesh to allow compost to decompose at a more rapid rate
  • Open Garden Day June 4, 12-7PM:
    • We need someone to make fliers
    • We need volunteers to ask community businesses for donations
  • Voted YES to having Charlie Waters’ band play in the garden on the following dates:
    • May 15
    • June 4
    • June 12
  • GreenThumb plant distribution is May 7 – Need someone with car to help with that:
    • Pick up 10am – 1pm:UCC Youth Farm (620 Schenck Ave, Brooklyn)
      • Green Oasis Community Garden (372 East 8th St, Manhattan)
      • New 123rd Street Block Association Garden (116 W 123rd St, Manhattan)
      • Friends of Brook Park Garden (494 East 141st St, Bronx)
    • This year marks the return to the in-person plant distribution and an expansion to 4 locations! They are excited to offer each garden 4 flats of plant starts total:
      • 2 flats of veggies/flowers/herbs mix sourced from Rise & Root Farm
      • 2 flats of native plants mix provided by Greenbelt Native Plant Center
  • Art Installation (still waiting on additional details):
    • Interviews conducted last year about climate change are being brought to life on aluminum, brightly colored 24×24 signs
    • Signs include question inspired by interviews with QR code link to audio collages of interviews of different gardeners from past year
    • Looking for us to put up 1 of the signs in the garden starting the week before Open Garden Days – December 15th. Hoping to have Park 12×12 sign with it indicating the art installation
    • We voted YES

April 9, 2022

  • It hailed
  • Open Garden Days:
    • We voted to communicate to GreenThumb the below open hours
      • MON – THURS 4pm-7pm
      • SAT – 9am – 2pm
      • SUN – closed
  • We voted on getting new lids for water allocating $200  – it should be $15-20 each per lid
  • The Department of Sanitation requested to use the garden to give out compost bags:
    • 3 pallets total in June or July for a few days
    • They will drop off and then pick up after the event
    • We are already getting 3 pallets delivered in that time frame so will just need to coordinate around 
    • Ariel to pass on to Outreach to reach out – we might see if Olive Garden can do it instead
  • Seed Library:
    • We will have a dropbox with seeds to give to the library. Seeds will be sorted into a labeled case and binder with inventory/place to check out seeds.
    • We voted yes to allocating $35-$50 towards a clear binder and box for seeds
  • Compost:
    • 2 People came by Sunday to look at the compost bin – will need an update on that in the next meeting.
  • Website:
    • Mica to bring camera to next meeting to take pics for the website (postponed to 5/7)
  • Continue to be careful and on the lookout for needles when weeding, picking up trash etc. Be sure to wear gloves
  • Community beds look amazing!! Make sure to not step on the wood
  • Proposed date for planting: May 1 :)

March 20, 2022

  • Greenthumb
    • Mary picked up supplies from Greenthumb
      • pruners, gloves, watering cans, etc
  • Communications
    • Mica Finehart voted in as Communications co-chair
  • Water
    • Travis turned water on
  • Seeds
    • Joe, Tina, Anna announced beginning of seed library
  • Events
    • Voted to make Red Shed Garden last stop for the Open Garden day, which will entail hosting duties. Need more info.
  • Compost
    • Vote was taken to repair compost bins only and plan for further proposal and work to be done off season.
    • Compost was sorted and removed from first and last bins to facilitate inspection for repairs
  • General
    • Community beds completely revamped. Huge project that went great. Need to use available soil to fill in new community beds
    • Pile of Wood chips were distributed throughout garden
  • Small rocks removed from middle garden beds near center lawn

4/9 Agenda

  • Corey proposing using funds to deal with mosquito eradication

March 19, 2022

3/19 Meeting Notes

  • Green Thumb:
    • Need someone to do supply pick up next Saturday 3/26 from 10am-1pm. Supplies available attached. Let Courtney and Lara know if you can go. 
    • UPCOMING: We will also need someone on 5/7 for Plant Distribution – details to come! If anyone is available on this day, please let Courtney and Lara know.

Agenda for Next Meeting: Sunday, 3/27

  • Compost:
    • Need to vote on current plan or different plan next meeting
  • Events:
    • Open Garden Day – June 4
    • Summer Fundraiser – June 26
    • Need people for open garden days – sign up sheet TK
  • Seeds:
    • Tina has lots of extra seeds – do we want some in community beds?
    • Seed Library: If we want to start this – is there a volunteer to lead?
  • To dos:
    • Community bed rebuilding
    • Spread wood chips along paths and if you are a plot holder, around your plots
    • Organize shed
Screenshot of registration for greenthumb spring supply distribution. Text in the screenshot is available via the link in the caption.
Text above is available on GreenThumb’s website

December 4, 2021

  • Compost Plan of $1600 + tax: Vote is yes!
    • We will find a temporary solution for the two weeks or so when switching over
    • Compost will NOT close for the winter
  • Website:
    • Can we hyperlink “workday” on homepage to calendar?
  • Calendar needs to be created for 2022 and sent out mid-February – Tina normally does it but would like to step back this year if someone would like to volunteer.
  • Winter responsibilities:
    • We have to be prepared for snow clean up – email should be sent out asking for people on deck 2-3 days prior to predicted snow to see who’s free
    • Snow clean up must occur within hours of snow storm
  • Steve will empty water tub for the winter season
  • We need to start the process of hiring someone for tree trimming before next season:
    • Alyson, Peter, and Corey to start looking for someone, complain on Parks Department Website
  • 2022 Board and Committee Co-Chairs
    • BOARD:
      • Membership:
        • Corey Williams
        • Mary Witke
      • Communications:
        • Kathryn Vaughn
      • Treasurer:
        • Allyson Kritzer
        • Charlotte Bell
      • Green Thumb:
        • Courtney Anderson
        • Lara Nickel
    • COMMITTEES:
      • Community Beds:
        • Victoria Sherwood
        • Sam Buccaro
      • Events:
        • Ariel Willmott
        • Kelly Kirkwood
      • Outreach:
        • Mary Witke
        • Steve Lewis
      • Compost:
        • Jess Lee
        • Peter Witke
        • Joe Kirchhof
      • Landscape:
        • Tina Rohatch
        • Jeff Johnson
      • Water:
        • Travis Williams
        • Steve Lewis

November 13, 2021

Lara had a complaint through Greenthumb. One of the neighbors saw smoke from the chimenea and reported it. As the fire department has in the past approved of use of the chimenea, we are considering it a stalemate with neighbors. There prob won’t be many more bbqs/fires this season anyway. That said, be cautious with fires and neighbors.

We discussed cleaning out the debris by the shed/outhouse. It’s a big task and we should plan ahead to have enough help. 

Two members approached Corey after the meeting about hoping to extend their (smaller than average) garden beds with the new lumber. They’d like to vote/organize working on garden beds perhaps before Christmas. 

There was a dead squirrel in an open water barrel. This is a reminder that all barrels should remain covered to prevent this. 

The community beds were partially turned leaving only a few plants and herbs for the remainder of the season. 
Compost was sifted and turned. 

October 16, 2021

We’ll use the southwest planters for strawberries and other beds for blueberries. Daffodil planting should wrap up today. If you’d like extra bulbs for another public use, check with Tina.

Please continue to map what you plant. Peter is coordinating a plan of all the community plants on the garden. Adding bulbs and such to that is useful for a number of reasons.

We discussed the existing two plans for community bed reconstruction. Members generally support merging existing beds, but the exact boundaries of the new large bed are to be determined. The mulberry tree and adjacent building shade the beds, but expansion is limited by the path and, especially, the gate and the need for a delivery zone inside the gate. Peter will provide another option (or several). Online minutes will be updated, and/or they’ll be sent on the Mailchimp list in advance of a vote.

We placed a Green Thumb request for shovels, salt, and more to manage snow and ice this winter.

Help increase our donation to NATIFS. Send a Venmo payment to @RedShed. Add NATIFS to your note.

Our Indigenous Peoples Day donation will go to NATIFS. The garden’s treasury will will give $125. The CSA might also donate. We hope to collect at least $175 in addition contributions from members to be bundled with the garden donation. Venmo to the Red Shed account, @RedShed, or give cash to one of our treasurers, Charlotte and Alison.

Charlotte, Rosie, and board members will coordinate adding Alison to our bank account, which requires signatures from all board members and the three of them jointly visiting the bank.

We voted to add a meeting (not a workday) on December 4 for 2022 board elections and any other final votes of the year. Time wasn’t discussed, but presumably it will start at 10:30. Potential board members can be nominated by any member, including self-nomination, anytime before the vote.

David brought a first aid kit and Narcan kit (for suspected opioid overdose treatment) from an event in Cooper Park. He’ll work with the community group from that event to organize a training on how to use the kit, likely at our November 13 meeting.

The Halloween Party is on track. Flyers will be at the garden later this week. Email the events committee (events@redshedgarden.com) to help with publicity or decoration. The Department of Sanitation asked to set up an info table at the party to promote the city compost program, and we voted in support.

October 3, 2021

Recognizing Indigenous Peoples’ Day and that the garden sits on land taken from the Lenape, we will donate to an organization below, to be decided at the next meeting. We voted to use $125 in garden funds and hope to collect matching funds from members to donate at least $300.


Dwane’s apartment was flooded by Ida. He will continue as a garden member and membership co-coordinator, but while he’s sorting out this situation, Corey is handling most membership coordinator duties for now.

If you want to support Dwane, his Venmo name is @Dwane-Maxwell, or contact redshedmembership@gmail.com for more info.


We voted to make a few process changes, both for better communication and to better comply with our by-laws. The by-laws call for advance notice of votes involving large changes in the garden or expenses over $25:

Members must submit proposals relating larger changes in the garden and expenses over $25 to the RSCG general email at redshedcommunitygarden@gmail.com. Proposals will be disseminated via email newsletters to all members for review. Members will discuss and vote on proposals at general meetings

The by-laws also stipulate that “[m]eeting minutes will be kept and saved on the RSCG website blog for members’ review.”

We voted in July to include minutes of each meeting in the Mailchimp reminder for the following meeting. Going forward, we will use the website to prepare the minutes for those mailings.

The blog is back online, and initial minutes should be posted on the blog shortly after each meeting. Committee chairs and others needing to correct minutes, add details, or provide details on an upcoming vote can edit the minutes over the next week. (Contact Joe if you need a website account.) The minutes sent with meeting reminders will be copied from the website.


The garden has a lot of daffodil bulbs. They were planted around the garden, and extras will be given to Cooper Park volunteers for planting there. There might be extra for planning in other public places in the neighborhood. Ask Tina if you’re looking for any.


The events committee is planning the Halloween party for 1:00-6:00pm on October 31. Charlie Waters will play live music. Geoff will coordinate a playlist. Contact the events committee to be involved with planning. events@redshedgarden.com is now set up to reach committee chairs.


The compost committee is still working on plans for a new bin, to be proposed for a vote later this season. Contact the compost committee to be involved.

We used the finished compost bin for some of the soil recent delivered by Green Thumb, so use bagged compost if you need pure compost.


We’re testing email aliases for reaching committee chairs. As mentioned above, email sent to events@redshedgarden.com will reach events co-chairs. We also set up communitybeds@redshedgarden.com and might set up others.

If testing works, we will revisit these addresses at an upcoming meeting and vote on any necessary decisions.