Meeting Minutes

March 24, 2024

  • on budget items:
    • $500 – Summer Party (6/15)
    • $200 – Open Garden Day (6/2)
    • $300 – Chicken Wire for Rats
  • Outstanding/Non Determined/Not Voted on Budgets
    • $500 – Fall Party
    • $200 – Community Bed Trellises and Fixtures
    • Will place an order for starters with Grow NYC, but also lookin lookg to seed start by members. Please reach out to Victoria or Sam if you’d like to assist with seed starting
    • New Bench – try and find a second-hand bench or reach out to local groups to see if anyone has one they’re willing to donate. Can also look at freecycle groups. GreenThumb can also help supply this.
    • T Shirts – please reach out if you want to coordinate or design. We should look to vote on this pretty soon in case there is long lead time before the summer party
  • Summer Party – 6/15
    • Contact Ariel if you’d like to get involved
    • Aiming to raise $2,000
  • “Vermin No More! 2024” strategy – ridding the garden of rats, mosquitoes and lanternflies 
    • Tranquility Garden used chicken wire and gravel to keep rats at bay UP TO $300 FOR 1/4 IN WIRE MRSH
  • Vote for Membership coordinator (and possibly other positions?)
    • Luke voted in as Co-Membership Coordinator 
    • Allyson looking to have a co treasurer. Please reach out if you are interested (need to be with the garden at least 1 year)
  • Explore interest in growing mushrooms
    • Mary is taking some initiative here. Please reach out to her if you are interested in learning more or helping
  • Soil testing
    • Caroline to look into 
  • Green Thumb Updates 
    • Will order as much woodchips as possible 
    • Picking up equipment on 3/30. Equipment includes… Watering Can, Canvas wheelbarrow, trash bags, 
    • No current need for compost or soil-
      • Given yesterday’s work around the garden has this changed? It looks like we went through a lot of our supply.
    • If green thumb does not supply watering cans, we should buy some
    • Green Thumb only supplying a canvas wheelbarrow so we should buy 2 more.
    • Looking into getting a bench provided from Green Thumb
    • Will follow up with Green Thumb about getting water barrels/lids. 

November 19, 2023

  • Fence contractor coming back after Thanksgiving for more fence work 
  • Move sensitive plants along the fence to pots 
  • Pedestrian gate being installed on the Maspeth side 
  • Need a chain and lock for the new gate – what is access like? Can we open it from both sides? This gate should be strictly used as the hydrant access gate.
  • Need to think of a better way to waitlist private plots. 
    • Landed on becoming more involved is helpful, but the garden is so much more than private plot access. Can potentially provide little areas throughout the garden that people really desiring a private plot can maintain themselves. Also encourage, as always, to get heavily involve in community beds. 
    • have historically documented involvement, but this can get tricky and “micro manage-y”
  • Question came up that what if they want to plant something in the community beds that’s personal to them? Need to run by Sam and Victoria – they are both open to planting community desired plants, but want to do so if it makes sense
    • talk with Sam and Victoria if you have a specific desired plant for the community bed for 2024


  • Open garden day – first Saturday of June 
  • Summer party – June 15

 Projects for 2024 

  • Rat mitigation. Hire someone to help?
  • New furniture 
  • Finish compost bins 
  • Raised beds (smaller) throughout the garden. We have some excess wood from the tree guards that may be able to be used 
  • Fix rain collection barrel next to stage 

What equipment do we need that green thumb doesn’t provide? 

  • New watering cans

October 8, 2023

  • We noted that the community bed cleanup went well, and the remaining plants are still growing, with peppers ripening.
  • We approved a $300 budget for the Oct. 29 Fall party.
  • We discussed rats, especially that:
    • The best way to drive out rats is to find and collapse their burrows continually and to try to make the garden less hospitable to new burrows. During the work day, we placed red flags where that needs to happen. Some burrows go around plant roots and must be addressed in the winter. Corey explained why other strategies, such as traps and poison, won’t be effective in the long term.
    • The compost bin needs to be rat-proofed, especially having its lids completed.
    • We approved $200 in rat-proofing materials (meshes, copper and/or foam fill, etc) so we can evaluate how well various options work and how well they fit within the garden.

March 26, 2023

  • Voted to switch from a key lock to a combo lock for the front gate. The code will be shared with members and can be reset every season. 
  • Compost
    • Voted YES on the compost plans budget of ~$2,000. 
    • David/Peter will begin purchasing supplies this week.  
    • All materials here for the next meeting 04/08. 
    • The Compost Committee will put together a work plan for building a compost bin to discuss at the April 8th meeting. 
  • Votes YES for open hours to stay the same as last year. 
    • A sign up to be sent out with the newsletter twice a month to ensure someone is at the garden during open hours. 
  • Community Beds
    • Seedlings will be planted in community beds by end of april/early may – april 7th order due. 
  • A reminder that anything over $25 shouldn’t be thrown away without garden group approval. 

December 18, 2022

  • Green thumb questions to be answered by Dec 31
  • Calendar Planning for 2023
    • Include elections in the calendar for 2023 and have them earlier (maybe at Halloween Party)
    • Close down garden meeting
    • Be conscious of holidays when planning calendar
      • Don’t plan meetings on holiday weekends
  • Voted on keeping current board positions and will handle 2 empty ones in spring
    • One treasurer and one green thumb board position still open
  • Credit union switch happening
  • Porta potty will be collected for winter
  • Key Discussion: People are not able to access Garden easily because of faulty keys from copying copies
    • Try to make a bunch of copies of the key ahead of the season and use only the master key
    • Spread lockbox code to board in case of emergencies
  • To discuss first meeting in the Spring:
    • Policy about rescheduling meetings
    • Having a sign up for running meetings 
    • Starting meeting at 10:30

November 27, 2022

  • Set a meeting in December. Dec 3 at 10:30 meeting before Holiday Market and breakdown after
  • Green thumb position open
  • Green thumb relicensing due end of December
  • Grant opportunity? Due Jan 10
  • Lockbox for new members?
    • Can’t secure the garden because anybody could have the code 
    • Switch lock this year? 
  • Holiday market  dec 3, 12-3. 10% of sales go to red shed
  • Newsletter about elections and which board positions are open.

October 16, 2022

  • Green Thumb:
    • Looking to get more shovels
    • We can get these on October 29 between 10am-1pm
  • Events:
    • Halloween Party:
      • Voted yes on $300 budget for food and drinks for the event 
      • Still waiting to hear back on pumpkin donation from David for pumpkin painting.
      • Everyone loves the idea of a pie contest. We can include this on the second batch of flyers. 
      • Travis will promote the times of the contests on IG.
      • Action Needed:
        • Alex is changing the flier to say 1-6pm and including the pie contest at 5pm – once we have this updated/printed Travis wanted to get the digital file to post on IG
        • Need people to hand out thank you cards and put up event flyers this week and next – send a list of donors to the team so we can do this 
        • Need a firm list of volunteers for setup, tear down and a food run. Setup at 12:30, food runs the day of (make a list) and tear down after 6:00 pm. Have two volunteers for setup (Jeff and Alden)
        • Alden said his sister would be open to donating her time and performing at the event, although she is a solo artist and usually sings acoustic. Her IG is  @dania_music_ .If this does not work Jeff may be able to DJ and set up a playlist that works.  
        • If we have t-shirts left over do we want to sell those at the event?

September 18, 2022

  • Compost:
    • Voted yes to demolish the bin November/December to rebuild
    • Agreed date to stop accepting compost: October 15
    • Agreed only revisit budget for rebuild if the budget goes out of range
    • Discusses ways to get neighborhood involved with compost:
      • Have public drop-off that match the CSA hours
  • Events:
    • Sophia Roe event on Thursday, October 13 from 5-8
      • The event is ticketed – $50 each and there will be tix reserved for garden members to purchase on a sliding scale
      • Family Style meal – buffet – 75 people total
      • There will be a sign posted with the date a few days in advance
      • We should identify non-profits to share funds with
    • Fall event
      • Will be Sunday, October 30
      • Big celebration around Halloween
      • Painting pumpkins – no carving

September 3, 2022


  • brown bin is filled with compost from the city
  • Make sure to chop it up and add browns on top

Missing hose is back!


  • Assigning beds for people to water
  • Please email Jeff to see which beds still need someone to take care of them!

Put lids on barrels, white nets aren’t working

August 21, 2022

  • We have agreed on the Credit Union switch
  • Greenthumb to expand code for lockbox
  • Ticketed summer event confirmed, family style from Sophia Roe (!!!!) – more info to come!!