October 16, 2021

We’ll use the southwest planters for strawberries and other beds for blueberries. Daffodil planting should wrap up today. If you’d like extra bulbs for another public use, check with Tina.

Please continue to map what you plant. Peter is coordinating a plan of all the community plants on the garden. Adding bulbs and such to that is useful for a number of reasons.

We discussed the existing two plans for community bed reconstruction. Members generally support merging existing beds, but the exact boundaries of the new large bed are to be determined. The mulberry tree and adjacent building shade the beds, but expansion is limited by the path and, especially, the gate and the need for a delivery zone inside the gate. Peter will provide another option (or several). Online minutes will be updated, and/or they’ll be sent on the Mailchimp list in advance of a vote.

We placed a Green Thumb request for shovels, salt, and more to manage snow and ice this winter.

Help increase our donation to NATIFS. Send a Venmo payment to @RedShed. Add NATIFS to your note.

Our Indigenous Peoples Day donation will go to NATIFS. The garden’s treasury will will give $125. The CSA might also donate. We hope to collect at least $175 in addition contributions from members to be bundled with the garden donation. Venmo to the Red Shed account, @RedShed, or give cash to one of our treasurers, Charlotte and Alison.

Charlotte, Rosie, and board members will coordinate adding Alison to our bank account, which requires signatures from all board members and the three of them jointly visiting the bank.

We voted to add a meeting (not a workday) on December 4 for 2022 board elections and any other final votes of the year. Time wasn’t discussed, but presumably it will start at 10:30. Potential board members can be nominated by any member, including self-nomination, anytime before the vote.

David brought a first aid kit and Narcan kit (for suspected opioid overdose treatment) from an event in Cooper Park. He’ll work with the community group from that event to organize a training on how to use the kit, likely at our November 13 meeting.

The Halloween Party is on track. Flyers will be at the garden later this week. Email the events committee (events@redshedgarden.com) to help with publicity or decoration. The Department of Sanitation asked to set up an info table at the party to promote the city compost program, and we voted in support.

October 3, 2021

Recognizing Indigenous Peoples’ Day and that the garden sits on land taken from the Lenape, we will donate to an organization below, to be decided at the next meeting. We voted to use $125 in garden funds and hope to collect matching funds from members to donate at least $300.


Dwane’s apartment was flooded by Ida. He will continue as a garden member and membership co-coordinator, but while he’s sorting out this situation, Corey is handling most membership coordinator duties for now.

If you want to support Dwane, his Venmo name is @Dwane-Maxwell, or contact redshedmembership@gmail.com for more info.


We voted to make a few process changes, both for better communication and to better comply with our by-laws. The by-laws call for advance notice of votes involving large changes in the garden or expenses over $25:

Members must submit proposals relating larger changes in the garden and expenses over $25 to the RSCG general email at redshedcommunitygarden@gmail.com. Proposals will be disseminated via email newsletters to all members for review. Members will discuss and vote on proposals at general meetings

The by-laws also stipulate that “[m]eeting minutes will be kept and saved on the RSCG website blog for members’ review.”

We voted in July to include minutes of each meeting in the Mailchimp reminder for the following meeting. Going forward, we will use the website to prepare the minutes for those mailings.

The blog is back online, and initial minutes should be posted on the blog shortly after each meeting. Committee chairs and others needing to correct minutes, add details, or provide details on an upcoming vote can edit the minutes over the next week. (Contact Joe if you need a website account.) The minutes sent with meeting reminders will be copied from the website.


The garden has a lot of daffodil bulbs. They were planted around the garden, and extras will be given to Cooper Park volunteers for planting there. There might be extra for planning in other public places in the neighborhood. Ask Tina if you’re looking for any.


The events committee is planning the Halloween party for 1:00-6:00pm on October 31. Charlie Waters will play live music. Geoff will coordinate a playlist. Contact the events committee to be involved with planning. events@redshedgarden.com is now set up to reach committee chairs.


The compost committee is still working on plans for a new bin, to be proposed for a vote later this season. Contact the compost committee to be involved.

We used the finished compost bin for some of the soil recent delivered by Green Thumb, so use bagged compost if you need pure compost.


We’re testing email aliases for reaching committee chairs. As mentioned above, email sent to events@redshedgarden.com will reach events co-chairs. We also set up communitybeds@redshedgarden.com and might set up others.

If testing works, we will revisit these addresses at an upcoming meeting and vote on any necessary decisions.